Click Here to Apply
What is the Police Cadet Program?
This dynamic program has two distinct components, education and training. This program may provide the opportunity for employment and college tuition for qualified applicants. This may include a full scholarship at Santa Fe College with practical law enforcement training. An applicant who successfully completes the process will become a Cadet with the Gainesville Police Department and become a student at SFC. Uniforms and equipment are issued. Cadets will follow the rules and regulations outlined by the City of Gainesville and the Gainesville Police Department.
Are you ready to make a choice in your future?
Education is the goal. Maintaining a 2.5 GPA with a full class load can be difficult. When a Cadet is not in class or studying, the other hours are spent with the Cadet Coordinator or other divisions in the police department. Training is geared toward developing the Cadet’s skills in law enforcement.
- Must be at least 17 years of age
- Must be a high school senior and eligible to attend or attending Santa Fe Community College
- Must have satisfactory academic record
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Valid Florida Driver's License with good driving record required at time of employment
- Must have good moral character
- This is an academic scholarship program and candidates must have an interest in pursuing a career in Law Enforcement
- Applicants must successfully complete a polygraph examination administered by a certified Polygraph Examiner. The primary focus of this component is to assist in determining the accuracy of information provided by the applicant during the selection process.
Want a challenging and rewarding career?
A Cadet will be compensated for up to 39.5 hours per week. This includes class time and working at GPD. The Cadet is employed in a temporary part-time status by the police department. Expectations and standards are high. There are no benefits with this position. A future with the Gainesville Police Department is available for those qualified.
For more details on the Cadet Program contact the Personnel Division.